Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Did you see the Steiff Bear on Pawn Stars?

Pawn Stars had an individual the other night bring in a Steiff Bear that he wanted to sell.  And this was no ordinary Steiff Bear. . . . it was a Studio bear from the 1990's.  Unfortunately, the grandfather at Pawn Stars did not want to give the individual the price that he was hoping for.  But the interesting thing is that Steiff still produces this very bear to this day.

This Studio Bear stands almost 63 inches in height and is quite dramatic, to say the least.  He is a brown bear whose fur is made from woven fur.  As Steiff states, he makes a perfect playmate, nursery decoration, or store display.

Incidentally, the individual on Pawn Stars gave a brief history of Steiff and their incredible founder, Margarete Steiff.  But if you would like to learn more, the Steiff website has a much more detailed history of this company and its founder.

Quote of the Day - "Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal." - Pamela Vaull Starr

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im the guy who was selling the Steiff bear on the Pawn Star episode. After the episode aired I did some research into this particular bear. I allready knew some of the history behind this paticular pice but I wanted to know more. So I went back to the person who I purchased it from ten years eailer. The bear was built by Stieff in mid 1971 as a window display for the toy store KB Toys in New York City for the 1971 Christmas season. That explained the burlap base and metal poll that extended up inside the bear and was not removable. KB Toys had to agree to the terms set by Stieff before the display was shipped. As part of the agreement instructions were sent with the display stating that the display (bear) was to be destroyed after the display was no longer needed and after the season ended. There was a concern that due to the weight of the display There was a potential for the display to topple over and possibility coursing injury. The store manager at that time couldn't find it in herself to destroy The bear so she took it home. She said she kept it in storage untill 2000 when I purchased it in a yard sale for $25.00 For the next ten years he quickly became a part of my family untill in November 2011 I decided to sell him. My first attempt was to my friends at The Gold and Silver Pawn shop and on the show Pawn Stars. As things go we couldn't come to a agreed oppon price so he went home with me again. After that show aired on Feb 12 2012 I was contacted by several people expressing interest in him. He was sold to a gentleman who said he was adding him to his wife's collection. I'm not shure who owns him now but I hope he has a wonderful home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got your bear sold. I just watched the rerun. You know pop wanted that bear. Hope your daughters wedding was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete